Saturday, January 18, 2014

Horses Just Know...

Events this week really reinforced for me the whole idea of the circle of life.  My Step-Dad passed away after an illness and my son is celebrating his birthday.  Both events have caused me to pause and reflect and to cry both tears of grief and of joy.  Life is precious and life is hard.  The high points of life are all the more sweet after we have prevailed over the low points.

A few years ago, my Mother-In-Law passed away.  I went out to the barn to decompress.  No one else was there and I had the opportunity to just walk and spend time with the horses and nature.  I particularly remember walking up to Marquis, a horse at the barn who wasn't the most demonstrative soul -- but Marquis knew that I was grieving in my heart.  He let me hug on him and cry all over him.  He instinctively knew what I was needed at that moment. I left the barn that day with a much lighter heart.  A few days later, my Mother-In-Law's brother came out with me to the barn.  As we sat enjoying nature and watching the horses, he commented that sitting there was the most relaxed and at peace that he had been in days.  The horses and nature were a balm to his soul as well.

So, this weekend, I celebrate the birth of my son and the passing of a gentle and kind man.  I know that I will spend some time at the barn this weekend, where the horses will instinctively know what my heart needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment