Sunday, March 30, 2014

Our Biggest Enemy...Ourselves

I don't believe my horse, River, ruminates over her past.  She doesn't berate herself for past mistakes or mire herself in negative self-talk.  River lives in the here and now.  The past is the past.  The future is not something to worry about.

To continue to pick apart our past, to continually tear our own selves down, to be anxious about the future --  appears to be uniquely part of the human experience.  And have you noticed that we, as humans,  seem to be hardest on ourselves and more forgiving of others? We tend to hold ourselves to a higher standard than we would friends or family.  As was initially said many years ago in the Pogo comic strip:  "We have met the enemy and he is us."

When I talk to others who are beating themselves up, I tell them to look at themselves as they would their own best friend.  Would you treat your best friend as you are treating yourself?  If they answer "no", then they are probably being way to hard on themselves.  And while I tell others that, I have to remind myself of the same thing when I get to hard on myself. 

You are first one foremost your own best friend.  Keep reminding yourself of that every day.  And take the picture below and post it where you can see it every day.  I am going to!

No comments:

Post a Comment