Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Barn Time

Monday and I hit the ground running.  So much to do!  Work, home, family -- did I mention school is starting?!   Physically and mentally, I am pushed and rushed.  After a long day, I hop in the car and make the drive to the barn, making a mental checklist of everything I need to do at the there:  groom River, treat her hooves, exercise her.  I park my car at the barn, ready to sprint to get my "to do" list done. The barn, though, lives to its own schedule and I feel the topsy turvy "gotta do it now" world slipping away.  Time slows down.  My overactive brain slows down.  I can feel the tension in my muscles drain away.  Yes, I still have my "to do" list, but now it doesn't feel so onerous and rushed.

I walk down to River's pasture calling her name.  Her ears prick up and she takes a few steps in my direction.  We walk up the hill to the barn together.  Up in the barn, I groom her.  I talk to her as I brush out her mane.  Each time I come around by her face, I kiss her nose.  I think she would much prefer a treat to my kiss, but she tolerates it.  After her "spa" session, I walk her down the horse trails to give her and me some exercise.  No riding tonight, but a brisk walk through the woods is just what the doctor ordered.  River companionably walks by me, hoping to get a few morsels of prime grass as we walk. We come out from the trail near her pasture, where I put her back in to the happy calls of her fellow equine pasture-mate.  River ambles off to take a drink and I walk up the hill, feeling relaxed and happy.  My "to do" list at the barn was complete, but it never felt like work at all. 

As I start my Tuesday, I will try to remain in the bliss that ended my Monday and live in "barn time".

No comments:

Post a Comment