Saturday, June 15, 2013

Grace Under Pressure

As I mentioned in the last post, River, my Equine Coach and 1000 pound baby-girl, has been having some health issues -- specifically laminitis.  Laminitis is a serious hoof condition and if not treated can have huge consequences.  As a result, I have been monitoring River's condition very closely as I follow the vet's orders; however,  I noticed this week that she was walking very stiffly and ended up taking her in a trailer to the vet. 

On the chance that her laminitis was actually getting worse, we soaked River's two front feet in an ice bath.  Now, an ice bath is uncomfortable for me to even THINK about much less do it for my own feet;  imagine trying to coax a 1000 pound horse to put her two front feet into a large bucket of ice water!  Amazingly enough, River, with some gentle prodding, put both hooves in the bucket and stood there for the requisite soaking time, a vision of patience and stoicism.  She actually started looking sleepy during her "pedicure"! 

Later in the afternoon, we put River in the trailer and started out on the hour's drive to the vet hospital.  River was good as gold through the whole experience.  Once we got to the vet, the vet looked her over closely and let her do some grazing.  The news was good.  Her laminitis was actually improving!  As the vet went to make notes and give me some additional medicines, I followed him over to his vehicle -- River made to follow, then placidly decided that she enjoyed the grass and watching the cars go by on the street nearby, as well as checking out the vet's other horses.  With the good news and some additional medication, River was back on the trailer.  As she got off the trailer after arriving home, she made a quick beeline for her stall, where she happily started noshing on some hay that was waiting for her.

So, needless to say, I was relieved; though I know her recuperation is going to take a while and her long-term prognosis is still to be determined.  What struck me throughout the whole day was the grace she showed while in pain and under stress.

In our high stress world, it is so easy to succumb to the pressures around us and not act with "grace".  River was a living example of how to act with grace under pressure.

Get well, my girl.  You are truly an inspiration to me -- in good times and in bad.



No comments:

Post a Comment