Saturday, November 9, 2013

Learn As If You Were to Live Forever

The title of my post comes from a larger quote from Gandhi:  "Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

So often people equate learning with a formal educational setting, but the opportunity to learn, to grasp a new concept or skill, or to become more knowledgeable on a subject is all around us every minute of every day.  We just need to be open to the experience.

I have always enjoyed learning new things.  I  love history, though I am no history major.  My favorite historical periods include  Ancient History and the Tudor Dynasty, so I started reading books on the subject and found some entertaining free podcasts online to listen to while I was driving.

After rediscovering my love of horseback riding a few years ago, I have been soaking up all things horse-related.  I have watched videos and read books.  Being at a barn with a group of horse enthusiasts, you can't help but learn new things all the time -- not to mention from your riding instructor, veterinarian, and farrier!

I also have rediscovered my love of doing arts and crafts.  I have had an opportunity to work on painting -- horses, of course -- tried some sewing (yes, that costume -- more on that in another post), played with porcelain clay to make jewelry, and have rediscovered my childhood macramé skills.  It is a wonderful opportunity to exercise the artistic side of my brain and relieve stress!

And of course, in my work, I continue to take expand my knowledge.

Learning is a holistic experience -- it develops the whole person.  It feeds your brain and it feeds your soul.  It connects you to others and to those subjects that you are passionate about.  A leader, positional or situational, is always learning and always open to learning new things in order to grow and become more effective.

What do you want to learn?  What are you passionate about?  So many wonderful opportunities to learn out there -- enjoy the process.


No comments:

Post a Comment