Sunday, July 14, 2013

Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes...

"If there is no struggle, there is no progress." ~ Frederick Douglass

River watches Titan play ball.


That quote, as well as a bunch of others on the subject of change, have been truly applicable to my life.  Change occurs every day, but  large-scale changes have been the focus of the last few weeks -- ones that truly caused me to struggle emotionally.

Yesterday, River was moved to a new barn.  With her chronic hoof health issues, it was time to move her to a barn that could provide more focused attention on River to facilitate her recovery.  I am extremely attached to the horses and people at the barn I have been at these past four years, and the decision was very difficult to make.  That barn will always be a part of my life and so will the people.  I will still see them, but not as often.  That is the downside.  The upside is that I will meet new people and make new friends, and River will recuperate and interact with a new set of equine friends as well.  It is a new adventure for the both of us.

So, moving today was sadness at moving and excitement and nervousness about going into a new situation. It almost felt like being the new student at a new school in the middle of the school year! 

We arrived at the new barn after a short but uneventful trailer ride.  River immediately acquainted herself with the grass, while I set about unloading the rest of River's "stuff".  Everyone was extremely friendly and helpful.  River got to meet  the barn's resident dog, Titan, who wanted her to play ball with him. While she is well acquainted with dogs, she wasn't quite sure what this playing ball thing was all about!  River then settled in to a temporary stall where she happily munched hay and watched all the new goings on. 

As an amazing coincidence, I met a friend and former co-worker who I hadn't seen in at least a decade!  Her daughter was taking lessons there and we had a chance to reconnect and I'll be able to see her regularly at the barn.

Later in the day, as I checked in on River, she had her head over door to the stall and was watching Titan play ball.  I could see the wheels turning in her head.  She might master this game yet!

So, River and I are starting a new routine where new people, new horses, and new experiences await us.

Change is an integral part of life.  Learning to embrace change and the opportunities it brings, as opposed to fighting the inevitable opens us up to so many amazing opportunities.  How can you better embrace change in your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment