Saturday, July 27, 2013

The Power of Relaxation

I have often noticed that I carry tension in my neck and shoulders.  After a very stressful day, I can actually feel that my shoulders have migrated almost up to my ears!  It seems that I walk around in a semi-permanent state of being knotted-up.  And it appears that this is also the same with our equine friends too.

River had the opportunity to be evaluated by an equine veterinarian who is also an equine chiropractor.  It was recommended that as an adjunct to her recuperative regimen that River also be evaluated by this vet as he specializes in equine sports medicine and horse performance.

After an evaluation, the vet indicated that River has some areas in her poll and jaw that needed adjustment -- areas that are often impacted by laminitis as the horse tries compensate to get away from the pain in their feet.  The vet adjusted River's problem areas and immediately River let out an long and very audible sigh of relief -- it felt so good!  Afterwards, the vet asked me to walk River around the property at her own pace for 15 minutes.  At first, River was full of energy. Ten minutes into the walk, she was almost tripping over her feet.  Endorphins released as part of the adjustment had flooded into her system and she was so relaxed she was ready to take a nap!

It got me thinking about my physical state and the constant tension I feel.  Just watching River being touched and adjusted made me relax.  And the rain gently falling on the barn roof added to the relaxing environment!  The experience watching River is making me evaluate what I can do to get to a more relaxed physical state.  Constant tension brings us out of physical and mental alignment.  It affects our health.  Being relaxed, both physically and mentally, allows us to fully engage in life and all it has to offer.  Just as being relaxed (and aligned) is helping River to recover more completely from her laminitis and become stronger as a result, so can the same concept help us to live stronger, healthier lives.

So, what can you do today to learn to relax?

No comments:

Post a Comment