Saturday, July 20, 2013

We are all Teachers....

It has been a week now since River and I started our adventure at a new barn.  Everyone has been very friendly and River is doing well.  The farrier visited this week to trim River's hooves to the vet's specifications and, in 30 days, we will do another x-ray to see how River's coffin bone rotation looks -- I am hopeful for her continued improvement.

River is a very laid-back horse and while not openly demonstrative most of the time, she does love attention.  Waiting for the farrier to arrive, I had River out and was spending some quality time grooming her.  The barn was hosting horsemanship camp and there were a lot of young girls and boys in attendance.  Many stopped to ask questions about River and if they could pet her.  A few wanted to groom her, so I gave them some brushes and guidance on what to do.  The children really enjoyed interacting with her, and River enjoyed all the attention! 

A few children stayed to watch the farrier work on River's feet.  One asked a very good question about why we take care of horse's hooves since horses in the wild don't get hoof care.  Very insightful question from a young, inquiring mind!  The farrier graciously explained to her why.  And of course, I was peppering the farrier with lots of questions as well.  My farrier is a natural teacher and, like my vet, I always learn something new from him.

All of this caused me to think about the fact that while we may not be teachers by profession, we are all teachers.  We each have knowledge to impart or an example to give.   I taught the children a few things about horse grooming.  My farrier taught that one child and also me new things about horses.  Each of us also teach by how we interact with others.   By being friendly, open, and respectful with the children, I hopefully provided a good example of how to treat others.

Something to keep in mind as we go through our day.  How can we be good teachers in our daily lives?

No comments:

Post a Comment