Tuesday, July 23, 2013

There is only the Present

“I've had a lot of worries in my life, most of which never happened.”    ~ Mark Twain

I woke up this morning in trepidation of another budget meeting and trying to figure out how be more creative with managing my resources. My stomach was churning and my neck was stiff just in anticipation of what was to come today and I had already scripted the outcome of the meeting and my reaction to the decisions that would be made.  I was ready for battle!  Bring it on!  And meanwhile, the rest of my body joined in on the churning and aches and pains as I started anticipating all that could happen (or had already happened in my mind).

And then I thought about River.  As a horse, River, doesn't anticipate the future -- she lives in the present.  She doesn't worry about the past -- she lives in the present.  Something that she as a horse does naturally, we struggle with on a daily basis. 

Living in the present.  How often the present speeds by us as we are anticipating the future!  The things we have missed as we are planning out what we are going to say next as someone talks or we worry about only to have whatever we were afraid of never come to pass.

My budget meeting is yet to come today, but from minute to minute today, I'm going to focus on the present.  My neck and stomach feel better already!


No comments:

Post a Comment